View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Thanks Peter. If I still lived in Philly, I'd be all over those Fortes. The kg4's look great too. The best I've been able to do locally is 750 for a nice set of Heresy's, so I'll keep looking...

Do you use a craiglist aggregator to search? Which one?
I normally use my local craigslist. Here's one U.S. nationwide craigslist search I've used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
There have been a few pairs of Heresy speakers around San Diego for $400-500 lately. The $400 pair had plain birch cabinets.

I read quite a few different opinions as to the desirability of the original vs. II vs. III versions. Lots of Klipsch fans think modification of crossovers by Krites and replacement of original tweeter/mid-range diaphragms with titanium ones is worthwhile. I haven't heard any of these tweaked versions.
Yeah; I think there's too much drama with the differences between the various versions. I don't go for the "upgrades" mentioned either. I think the only reason they're done is the Klipsch Heritage series speakers are easy to modify by hobbyists vis a vis, changing crossover components and drivers. I swear the first thing you'll hear if you buy a pair of used Klipsch's is, CHANGE THE CAPACITORS!, without having tested the existing capacitors. Sheesh.

The Heresy I's can be had for $400-$500 a pair, and the raw birch was sold so the buyer could stain or paint them to their desires. The raw birch was nicely finished as-is. The Heresy II's are made with MDF which is supposedly denser than birch making a less resonant cabinet. The usually sell for more on the used market. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either version, especially considering new Heresy's go for $2k. The raw birch cabinets are easy to refinish, and the veneered versions relatively easy to repair or re-veneer if desired; both reasons the speakers are popular, besides their performance.

Last edited by Peter P.; 11-16-2018 at 07:04 PM.