View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
So two (perhaps unrelated) crashes in the last 6 months of this plane. Every country except the US and Canada has grounded this plane until it's airworthiness is assured.

From my reading, something to do with flight control software issue? Dallas Morning News has a good article on pilot complaints.

Thoughts? Especially from saab2k? (I understand if it's not possible for you to comment at this time).
Yup, SAAB will give a definitive answer but I think it's a combo, flight control software issue coupled with pilot training. Yes, maybe a 'black box' issue effecting the computer driven, fly-by-wire system but some pilots lack the trainng to deal with it..My opinion only. Delivery of aircraft doesn't always come with a training program.
Quote:
So in the Lion Air example, a incorrectly installed sensor caused the auto systems to nose the plane down. On previous flights the crew disabled the auto systems but on the last one the crew could not figure out how to turn it off.
I'd fly in the thing as long as the pilots were US trained..

For SAAB, I understand passenger comfort and all that but do you routinely turn off 'george', along with auto-throttles and just fly the thing? For proficiency? Even after a long cross country in a F-14(one in F-4 never worked), when I turned off george to start the arrival. it took a couple of minutes to get the 'feel' again..

And if not, how does the 'feel' of modern simulators compare to the real jet? F-14 sim was essentially a procedure trainer as it didn't 'feel' anything like the real thing.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-13-2019 at 05:46 AM.