View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 AM

It depends on how I'm approached, but more often than not, nothing prompts an "attack" like a protective dog. Most exciting sprints, really.

When approached from the front or side, bellowing NO, is usually enough. Reaching for the bottle and giving a squirt is the next step, and has worked well.

Twice I've dismounted, once holding the frame in front of me and being aggressive back. The second time, slowly walking my bike past a Rottweiler and reminding him he's a g'boy. Just doing his job.

The last time was different. I was on an unfamiliar, desolate and very rough road. Exploring an out and back from my road ride, I heard barking from what sounded like quite an old dog on the way up, but s/he didn't run all the way up me. On the descent, I caught a glimpse of a VERY large white dog, and it was a little more pissed this time. I figured it would stop after getting so close, but it kept coming and at its closest was right behind my wheel. I attempted to look back a second time, but the road was so rough it was like descending a steep rock garden on a road bike and couldn't (shouldn't) even pedal. The only thing I did right that time was not crash. The dog stopped about 5 seconds after I had reason to panic.

Sometimes you just get lucky.