View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
CAG is usually not in the XO path because of the nuclear power training pipeline. CAG is usually a twilight tour for a Captain aviator who didn't want to attend Nuke school. I've seen XO tours as short as a year followed by a one year deep draft. The most unusual was when I was on the TR 2001-2004. We deployed right after 9/11 for 7 months including 159 days straight on station. After that, we did a yard period followed by a surge deployment for invading Iraq with the same CO. CO's on other carriers were losing their **** that the TR did back to back wartime deployments with the same CO. He made Admiral, they didn't. I liked him.

But back OT, I was an officer of the deck on carriers and I never hit anything other than a light pole on the pier in Souda Bay, Crete and I told the Captain that I was going to hit it and there was nothing we could do but tell people to stand clear. 101,000 tons doesn't stop on a dime, especially if tugboats are pushing you.
CAG as twilight tour...yikes. All the CVs are Nukes, don’t get it(but I retired 22 years ago)...I guess a guy wants a twilight flying job but doesn’t want to drive a boat or make flag...I get it, I think.

Running a squadron was hard enough....