View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbushnel
I just picked up a NOS DA 7700 BB (thanks 11.4) and I will be installing probably next weekend. It will likely see some wet weather use, so I wanted it "overflowing" with grease (ok, maybe overstating a bit). Anyway, the factory grease is fine (nos) but I feel like I want to add just a bit so when I install the seals there is some overflow. I don't think there is enough grease present for that and I dont have anything other than Phil Wood grease to add.

I assume it is not a good idea to mix grease types, but if I could get confirmation on that that would be great.

Also, whats the easiest solvent to use if I were to start over and grease with PW. I have mineral spirits, acetone, the green stuff...
Any thoughts?
thanks,
ted.
The general rule is not to mix lubricants because different types don't work well together. However, both the stock Shimano grease and the Phil grease are very similar synthetic lubes that you can mix without problem. Many of the solvents actually interfere with grease. I got a tip from the folks at Phil and just use a spray can of TriFlow to clean out old grease and then replace it with the green Phil stuff. Chris King actually recommends this with their RingLube and related lubricants as well.