Thread: Winter Bicycles
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanks! There is a lot here- so I'll try to tick away at them. Feel free to ask if you want more.

1. Trying things out on the metal work, bike design (functional) or visual end?
- Metal work: No real surprises, this was a fairly "standard" fillet frame with a few details.
- Design: I wanted something more forgiving then my normal bike (a very stiff fixed frame) with more room for bigger rubber. I also wanted to keep it feeling "like a race bike". At odds? Not so much- I choose tubes that allowed for a certain general ride compliance, a stiff (enough) pedal feel, and went with a pretty proven geometry (with some minor tweaks for the bigger rubber).
-Paint: I had a vision in my head, and after a couple of experiments we worked out how to get 98% of the way there. 2% more and it's ready for prime time.

2. The consistency is in the quality of the frame and the pursuit of the clients needs. My goal is to build the right bike for the rider, not the right bike for me if I was in their situation. There are certain traits I default towards, but really take my ques from the clients needs and tastes (within reason).

3. Experience and communication. Before starting Winter I've fit and sold many bikes to many riders. Learning how to hear someones needs, and how to address those came before picking up the torch.

Now that I build, I have more options and can address more finite minutia in behavior, spec and fit. I know how different tube combos interact. Part of the design process is learning a new mutual lexicon for each person. Once I have a feel and can effectively communicate their needs back to them I usually have an intuitive picture in my head. From there it's pulling it out and putting it together.

Does that start to answer you questions?