View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 06:01 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I do a lot of photography off the bike, which means there's times of intense activity (riding my cross bike with 20 pounds of camera equipment up some mountain) and times of inactivity with my gloves off. That combination is as hard as it gets, so I've worked out a number of heat sources. I've not found an all-in-one solution for electric gloves, but I have found some electric glove liners that use external 12v power. I've also bought a number of motorcycle hand grip warmer kits which are just small flexible sheets of heating wire which you wrap around handlebars. I wrap them around one of the legs of my tripod and use something like a bar-mitt to hold the heat. I've even gone so far as to make a center column for my tripod which is also the battery. On the bike I use heat in two places. My glove liners plug into cords I've run in my winter jacket from the back pocket which holds the battery. I also have the heating pads from the hand grip warmers sewn into the jacket to warm my lumbar, because that always tightens up when I stop.

As with just about everything else, I can't just walk into a store and find exactly what I want. That said, the people who have seen my set-up want one just like it...