View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 AM

The quick link seems odd since the dealer manual shows the chain comes with the standard Shimano breakaway rivet-pin just like they have for many years and includes instructions for joining the chain with the pin and not a quick link.

Is the quick link a separately sold Shimano product? It's really unlike Shimano not to mention the Quick link in the instructions for the chain if it's compatible.

As an aside this seems to be a new 11 speed thing I can't believe the "User Manual" is now an idiot guide that says to oil the chain and see the dealer for installation. I thought the user's guide used to always have the installation instructions.

Me.. I'd continue using the pin like I always have. It's a good system, I find it easier to use than most of the quick links I've tried over the years. I always keep a tool for it in my emergency kit and it's really easy to carry a couple of emergency pins too. Particularly with these newer quick links that are one time use only I don't get it. Back when the quick links could be detached and reattached they seemed to have more value.

I still have a SRAM quick link on my MTB, but that bike is old enough it's running 9-speed.