View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Key for Moka
1. Turn off heat before or just when you hear the noise. longer and it gets bitter.
2. don't clean it with soap. if you have a new moka or have not used it for a while, make a coffee and throw it away. it will taste like metal. it should have some brown stuff left i there.
3. it does not taste like an espresso at a bar. it's a different drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

The Moka pot is dead simple. IMO it has a pretty high tolerance for the range of grind. I have the 3 Cup one. 14-16g of beans, grind them fairly fine, fill water to the line. Put the coffee in the basket, you distribute it with you finger to fill all the spots but don't really pack it in. Stick it on a gas stove on the smallest burner. For me it's the really small simmer burner on about 45% power (gas stove). Turn it off right before the bubbles start coming out.

I often use a little plunger style milk foamer to make a cappucino style moka drink.. plunge for 10-15 seconds and then stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds.. pour the coffee out of the moka pot, add sugar if desired, stir, then pour the hot milk in, then put the foam on top. Works really well if you've got a good dark bean.

Then you take it all apart and clean it in about 1 minute when you're done drinking your coffee.. best part about it.