View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 PM
The B!

Starting a cycling team - tips n tricks?

Howdy

This season, I'd decided to do a partial sponsorship of my (essentially non-racing) "team" via my roofing company... at least get us some new nice kit, maybe fund some entry fees, etc. No expectation of any return on the investment, and the investment would be small. But tonight, sucking on bloody marys instead of hitting my intended training ride, it just hit me: Why don't I just full-on start a whole new team and sponsor it for real??

I mean... who is our target market? Crap... if the exposure lands my company even a couple residential jobs, it'd fund a whole team's worth of NICE kit and neutral wheels and a pile of tubs and possibly even more.

Why the hell haven't I ever thought of this before?

But since I know jack crap about sponsoring, or assembling an actually-competitive team... I figured I should probably just post this up.

Tell me what I don't even know I don't know??

Some things I wonder: what's an appropriate level of subsidization? I'm obviously talking amateur racing here... I'm not buying bikes and ····. But if I'm going to do 100% ownership/sponsorship, what's a good level of benefit to offer to attract talent? Partial kit? Full kit? Race license and entry fees? Free beer and dope? What else is there? In other words..... what's this gonna cost me?

Thanks

-B