Thread: NTSB & cycling
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I would encourage people to read the actual 8 page summary from the NTSB instead of just one line headlines from the various media outlets:
https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...2-abstract.pdf
I agree. I didn't find the report inflammatory. Visibility and head protection are important factors. I hope the final report elaborates more on these points.

Quote:
Bicyclists wearing bright or reflective
clothing, bicycles with lights or reflective materials, enhanced motor vehicle
headlights, and in-vehicle crash warning and prevention systems are all
countermeasures that could potentially alert motorists to bicycle traffic and help
them avoid collisions with bicyclists.

14. Collision avoidance system technologies could be modified to detect bicycles, which
would likely reduce the incidence of collisions between motor vehicles and bicycles and
mitigate injuries caused by collisions when they occur.

16. The US Department of Transportation’s slow progress in developing standards for
connected vehicle technology has delayed the implementation of potentially lifesaving
technology.
Visibility can be passive in our clothes and lights that we wear, but connected systems and smarter cars AND bicycles have such potential. If the car can detect your phone moving at bicycle speed; imagine how the car can protect the cyclist from before the driver makes a mistake. Adaptive headlights with lidar can make cyclist more visible at night, especially around corners. Education is paramount, but these active systems will enable cars to protect cyclists instead of relying on the idiots steering both vehicles.