View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 12:20 PM

We've got two in the family - a converted Serotta Fierte steel frame, couplers added by Bilenky; and a Hampsten S&S coupled ti Strada Bianca. We've done three trips with them - three really fantastic trips. Being able to travel to someplace cool and explore by bike together has been wonderful, and worth every penny.

Low spoke count wheels definitely help with packing. We're using Campy Zondas these days. I've tried it with 32 and 28 spoke wheels and it's much easier getting handlebars to thread in with the 20-21 spoke wheels.

Notice a few pics above with the 'newer' crank/bottom bracket styles. I've stuck with older Octalink bottom brackets and matching cranks - also just a little easier to deal with packing-wise.

Am thinking about going etap on my bike. Sure would make things simple, assuming that everything works OK. Need to make sure the RD Wifli setup will handle a 34T cog, though, first.

Using the netting to tie everything down helps with possible losses when TSA opens up the box to look around. The compression members (just cheap pvc tubes) help with keeping things from getting smashed, too.

Finally, don't forget to pack your chamois crème in your bike box or in your checked luggage. Otherwise, kiss it goodbye at security...

Last edited by tv_vt; 11-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.