Thread: 1x drive to 2x?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
What's the goal here?

Save wattage and go faster or have a wider range of gears?

If the first, remove all that extra 'stuff' on your bike, pick a faster tire, or wear some tighter clothes.

If the later, go 2x

Or replace the RD with a non clutch and forget about it Narrow/Wide front chainring should keep the chain on 90% of the time anyway.
Extra stuff? I've got lights (safety first), sealant and spare tube, a pump (I drop the psi when I get into dirt with ruts and pump it back up for the road. this tire is a good for both - this bike is meant for both) and the backpack is for the outing of the afternoon (I did most of my ride without it, but am looking for a small handlebar bag).

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
How can you tell the clutch is "sucking wattage"? The clutch shouldn't add any additional tension, just prevents it from bouncing around on rough terrain. I highly doubt you'd see world tour riders using Di2 clutch derailleurs (like was done in the spring classics this year), if they were slowing them down. As mentioned above, you can also turn the clutch off.
I'm not sure all the sucking is from the rear mech...maybe I've got the chain too short...but just spinning the crank backwards is not as smooth as my other bikes!