View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullock View Post
Thank you very much, all, excellent advice! I'm looking at Moots myself so Ti is definitely on my radar, if maybe a bit over budget. I didn't know about the Ergon grips but they look promising, so thank you. And I think compact frames would be great. Her hybrid has one of those low step-over tubes and I'm thinking compact wouldn't be too, too different.

Of course she'd prefer to test ride bikes but there's nothing appropriate in stock, even for window shopping.

I love buying used and have had good results, so I'm happy to do that, along with basic maintenance. Would it make sense to have her do a fitting even without a bike in hand? And if anybody has something appropriate that they'd consider selling, please hit me up!

Btw we're up in the country (Dutchess County in NY) for the summer and possibly beyond, so our biking opportunities are especially good. So she'd definitely get a lot of use out of it. The hybrid mostly stays inside.
On compact frames, it's the same effect, though not as pronounced as it is for a comfort/hybrid bike (mostly targeting the older crowd). With a 30" inseam, I'm on the shorter side, and I feel more at home on a compact when available (gives me the most seatpost sticking out--important for light and bag attachment).

I only mentioned the Ergon's because they're about the most visible option on the market, and it's something you'll easily find at REI during their numerous garage sales (maybe not this year!), if you ever go to those. I've picked up a few dirt cheap--haven't found the right build for them yet. Plenty of cheaper versions out there. Might check aliexpress for similar.