View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Oh I definitely have to work it side to side to get it to fit.
Cool - so it sounds like the seat post is the right size and that the fit to the seat tube is certainly in the ballpark. I don't suspect the length of the slot being the issue as Serotta built many thousands of those bikes and slipping posts are not in any way common.

So in my mind it boils down to two possibilities -

- I would check that the M6 bolt has clean threads and that it's straight. Remove the bolt and wipe it clean to be sure that the threads look good and the same from right under the head to the end. If it is any way suspect put a new one in. Also give it a spin to be sure that it's straight. Many of the original quality bolts were lost and replaced with bolts that have the hardness of butter and these bolts will bend when fully tightened. If it's bent it will not clamp as it should. After typing all of this I think the best plan would be to go to your local Ace Hardware and spend 75 cents on a new M6 stainless bolt. It can't hurt. Grease the threads and the underside of the head well and try it.

- the other possibility is is that you are simply not tightening it enough. We never spec'd a torque value back in the day and I have no idea just how to tell you just how tight it should be. That said i would try it a bit tighter and see what you get.

dave