View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 03:41 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I'd like something on the order of 34 chainring & 34 or 36 cassette - call it a 27 gear inch. Last year I used a 28/28 on my CSI for a hilly century, and it was OK, but I kept looking for that 'other' gear! Two factors: I'm 73, and still recovering from a car/bike accident last fall (broken pelvis). Normally I do a lot of miles each year (for me, that is) averaging 4,500 each year over the past 12 years, so am normally in relatively good shape. I'm getting back slowly but surely.

I can use another ring set, like you mentioned. I've got a couple SA or Sugino cranks with lower rings, but I'd like to stay with Campy - but not a must. My Campy triple is on the CSI this year, running a 24/30 for a gear inch of 21.
Gotcha.

Recognizing that you like what you have, I'll throw out another possibility: buy a complete Chorus 12 groupset, minus the calipers. You can get a 48/32 crankset (yes, I realize you said 34 small ring, hear me out) and an 11-34 cassette to give you a lower than 1:1 gear ratio, and it will work with your wheelset (possible issue if you have Chris King hubs).

I know, typical Paceliner, spending your money and seeming to ignore your preferences. But these groupsets are available for short money these days (less than $900 including calipers) and given that you can likely sell your 11 speed setup here for a decent price, the cost difference in the end may not be very much (I think those bigger RD cages can be a bit pricey). Just something to consider.