View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
Moka pot coffee gives me panic attacks these days but my move was always to put it on low heat and bring it to a boil as slowly and gently as possible. Presumably this minimized the burning of the grounds, though the coffee is still being brewed at too high a temp any way you slice it.

Fwiw, for a $20-$30 investment, I think an Aeropress makes vastly superior coffee (though the process can be slightly more involved.)
Like Goonster said you have to watch it closely and as soon as it begins to come out of the top tube you take it off the heat. What I do is fill it with boiling water, which means you'll need to wear a oven mitt so you can screw the bottom on or else burn your fingers, then put it on a medium flame, the flame thing you will have to experiment, because what you want is just enough heat to make ebb out slowly of the top tube instead of squirting or gushing out, when it's ebbing out slowly you don't have to turn off the flame as soon as it starts, instead just wait till it hisses the remove from the heat. It also uses a grind similar to what table salt looks like, not a fine grind or it will come out bitter, once the grinds are in the basket shake it a bit to evenly distribute the coffee.

A Moka Pot is an old traditional way that's been around for about 87 years used a lot in Italy. If done correctly you can get a bit of crema with it that you can't get with the AeroPress. AeroPress has I think a lighter taste to it, not as strong as the Moka. When it comes down to it the taste is a personal thing, I like them both because they both taste a bit different so I may use the AeroPress for a week or so then I'll use the Moka Pot for a week or two, I get bored with the same taste all the time so I switch up from several different ways of making coffee. But I kind of think the AeroPress is closer in taste to what a French Press makes and not as close to an espresso, the Moka is closer to an espresso vs those other two; neither are a true espresso though.

This video is the best video I've found, I follow this method, it seems to work the best, also if you grind it to a table salt grind and it still taste bitter then simply grind it one step larger than table salt; anyway watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyB...nnel=ChefSteps