View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 AM

I grew up and lived not that far from the "official" Rolex service center in NYC. You can send it in, have them service it, and they send it back all by registered USPS mail which is very safe (and insured). It usually takes 3-4 weeks which is often faster than anyone else. Call and they will send you a special box and instructions. After I moved to Boston that is what I did recently for one of my watches:

1994 Rolex Explorer II, 40mm, Polar/White dial, red GMT hand
- Serviced at Tourneau NYC in 1999 and took 3 months to get back
- Serviced at Rolex NYC in 2006 and took 3 weeks to get back
- Serviced at Rolex NYC in 2016 and took 4 weeks to send back to Boston
---needed new dial - lume is better in 2016 than 1994
---needed new bezel - all black enamel had worn off - I wear and do not baby my watches - service still under $1000 all-in

2009 Rolex Datejust, 36mm, gold and steel, white dial
(going for service in the spring - 10 years - still running well)

2018 Rolex Submariner Date, 40mm, steel, ceramic bezel

Rolex use to recommend every 5 years but now they say every 10 because the oils they use (and everyone else uses) are that much better now. Many people say wait until it stops working but at that point you may have broken something. Automatic watches are like cars in that they need fresh oil at regular intervals no matter how much you use them. Also, an automatic watch should be wound at least once a month but does not need to be put on a winder (which will just wear out the parts that much faster).

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
If you own a Rolex, where do you send it for service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
I had service performed at the Mother Ship in NYC. $800 all in, but great communication and the piece looks like new. Rolex recommends service every five years, mine went more than seven.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.