View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe77 View Post
Power Torque is considered an absolute PITA - due to the lack of ununstallability foresight from Campagnolo. But they fixed it (eventually).
There were two versions of Power Torque - that and PT Plus. The second one comes with self-extracting cranks so you don't need any bearing pullers etc.
You may not actually need PT or PT+ at all since last iteration of Potenza came out with Ultra Torque cranksets (the HO series). I have this one - same tech as the Chorus & up. (So there are actually 3 iterations of Potenza cranksets).
The BB cups are different between PT & UT but same for PT & PT+.
In my opinion for all the lauded technology of the Hirth joint Shimano got it right with end-spline and pinch bolt spindle design. No extractors/pullers or highly precise half-axles required.
Guess it depends on who you ask. "Installability" is a walk in the park and find one of many pullers, and taking the drive side crank of is as easy as many, many square taper cranks that needed a 'puller'.

I guess shimano and their external BB design was easy(and an answer to their crappy OctaStink)...gee whiz tho..as they walked thru the later DA and Ultregra series..it would have been nice if shimano had stuck to one cup spline size and design except for 3...that required unique to shimano tools.
UT is 'considered' to be the best of the best, in terms of design superiority. Another mediocre shimano design than Campagnolo and others, improved upon.