View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlucci1106 View Post
I hope you didn't read my OP to say this. What did I say, "slightly below the horizon?" Everyone who was at Serotta does impeccable work, who've spun off into their own brands. If anything, they took what was best about Serotta, and jettisoned the rest. "The rest" is unfortunately a lot of business decisions constituted over several decades, that leads to where the new bikes carrying 'Serotta' on the downtube carries with it- all that- for good or for bad.

That's the best allusion to Allen I've seen in a long time. Brilliant reference. One of my all-time fave movies.
To me, “end of an era” smacks of dead, and they’re not dead yet. At some point Peter Weigle will retire if he hasn’t already, but Brian Chapman (and Jan Heine/René Hearse) has clearly picked up the torch (no pun intended). And Serotta and IF live on, if only through their progeny.

The 23mm-tired race bike era may have ended, but that has ended for pretty much everybody, not just builders in the northeast. The spirit of those companies lives on, and many of them are at the forefront of design and innovation.