View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
This fellow alludes to this but it is something I have never been able to understand. Maybe some folks can help me out.

I get that disc brakes are more or less better than rim brakes. No argument from me. What I do not get is that such an improvement comes at the cost of a new frame, fork, wheels, group set..... A ton of money.... And for what degree of improvement. Folks will buy what they want to spend $ on. I get that. But that is a lot of money... as well as rendering the old stuff obsolete, no longer interchangable. I know you can still ride the ole stuff but you get my drift.

I am inclined to think that disc brakes are a "conspiracy" by the industry to get folks spending a fortune in the latest and "greatest." And for what degree of improvement. Baffles me .
Bike sales had been flat for a long time. One company's sales go up 2%, somebody else's goes down 2%. Discs on MTBs ARE a good idea. Mud and muck, still have brakes, back a rim, still have brakes but some brainiac thought, 'why not on road bikes? In fact, we'll emphasize how dangerous road riding is and how great it is to ride on dirt roads out in the 'country'. And we'll start to sell fat rims and tires and talk about much 'better' those are, even on those dangerous roads.'
And we'll call it 'Gravel Bikes'....and sell a ton of them...Even tho we know most won't actually ride them on dirt roads, but to the coffee shop for that 25 miler on Sunday. "Ooo, new bike?"..

Quote:
Amen. Don't care what you ride, if I come up to you and you're riding (insert here) brakes I will still say hello and ask how you are doing.
If it were only that simple. Far too often a rim brake guy is chastised, or criticized for sticking to rim brakes, even here...Often even chastised by 'industry' as they try to sell their 'latest and greatest'.

Great post above from carlucci1106, from in the trenches.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-25-2023 at 07:57 AM.