View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I love my disc brake bikes. But it is true that they are a major pain in the neck to work on.

My mechanical discs require constant fussing. The hydro discs are generally super reliable, but when I need them bled I have to take them to a bike shop and pay them $100+ and be without my bike for a week while they mess with toxic fluids.

I've been building up a rim brake bike and I have to tell you, I'm excited to get it out on the road and see how I like it after doing the disc thing for so long. They are so easy to set up and work on...
I also loathe working on hydros but the main thing that keeps me riding rim brake as much as disc is that discs have made, steel bikes at least, way stiffer and heavier. This is especially true where you can feel it the most, in the fork. At 145lbs and as someone who never rides to go fast, the increased stiffness is a negative and pretty obvious over longer rides. After a few days of riding a light and supple steel fork, transitioning to my (not even that porky) steel disc fork can be jarring. Definitely stops better in the rain and I have a bit more confidence in the snow though!