View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
- He says disc wheels are heavier. It is the opposite; when you don't have to rely on the rim for braking, the wheels can be made lighter.

As a unit, the wheel including disc rotor is heavier, no?

Understand that weight can be shaved off the rim, especially with hookless (and that's a polarising discussion we can have elsewhere... or just not have), but you are adding a 100-120g rotor on as well as handful more spokes which also add up in weight.

The hubs also seem to look chunkier but after a quick comparo of DT240 rim vs disc brake it's a wash, maybe the thru axle is heavier but maybe not, I don't know.

Either way, conservatively saying 120-150g (from rotor and at least 4 spokes) per wheel puts even the lightest of the disc brake wheels back into or above rim brake territory.

Which kinda makes sense, given that most disc brake bikes are half a kilo heavier than what you would've expected from a rim brake with the same spec component. Portion of that is in the wheels, the rest is in the actual caliper, cables/fluid. I would've even been tempted to say the frame has to be chunkier but 700g frames still seem to exist (they just build to a 7kg bike).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
- He says rotors constantly rub the pads; I have been primarily on disc brake bikes for the 4 years, and I have never had any sort of persistent pad rub, ever. Sure, sometimes they rub for a few seconds after heavy braking, but that is about it. I also work as a mechanic and don't hear our customers complaining about brake rub (and we have some picky ones).
Yeah I think if you note the point he makes... that some people don't seem to have issues with rotors rubbing constantly/intermittently/whatever-you-want-to-call-it-ly. But plenty of people I know get a disc brake bike and then proceed to complain about paying good money for a bike that needs more time on the stand... It's not like it doesn't happen.

And... I... digress.

Last edited by jimoots; 01-25-2023 at 12:06 AM.