View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
The average time for which people on this forum keep a bike is probably 3 years, but we're pampering them as if we'll have them at least 300 years.
3 years? My god that seems absurdly low! Why is that?

The bike I bought in 1984 that I still have I trained and raced on that bike for 10 years and rode it another 19 years after that, it was my main bike all those years, it has about 160,000 miles on it, I could jump on that bike today and ride it. I have other older bikes too; but now my main bike is a 2013 Lynskey Peloton that I bought in 2013, I will ride this till I get too old to ride. If I keep riding the Lynskey for the next 23 years I'll be 88 years old! Maybe that won't be too old! LOL!! so maybe then I will buy another bike, but the Lynskey won't have 160,000 miles on by then because I'm not doing 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year like I was when I was racing with the 84 bike, so I could feasibly be riding the Lynskey for more years past my 88th birthday.

I do the same thing with my cars too, I buy them about 5 to 7 years old with low mileage, and drive them till it cost to much to keep repairing it then I fix it up one last time and give it to someone and buy another for myself. So my cars when I stop driving them might have around 200,000 miles on the odo. I'm the type of person that takes care of my stuff and will use them till I deem it ready to be let go. I know most people only keep their cars 5 to 7 years max, I don't do that.