View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
hunting for good decaf is quite the chore. Most grocery stores (save for Whole Paychecks with roasting on site) are absolutely horrible. TJ doesn't sell many decaf, and its darker decaf is stale when the can is opened. The fancier local grocery store (Wegmans) sells loose decaf that's stale out of the chute. Whole Food does sell something decent (i'd classify as medium dark, they call it the decaf espresso), but you have to buy 12 oz at a time, which may be too much, depending on daily consumption

Look for coffee shops that allow you to buy by the quarter pound. Every city should have at least one that does this. When I lived in DC, only one roaster did this. It wasn't a darling of the instagram crowd, due to the somewhat grungy decor, but they roasted good coffee and sold by the 1/4 pound; as such, I always had fresh beans. The fancier places, OTOH, had minimal order requirements (and were more expensive to boot).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks.. I'm in the Bay Area so there is actually a true glut of coffee roasters...but very few of them have a decent espresso. Only Scarlet City has anything that comes close. Most lack body. So to date I think I've had decent decaf espresso from Victrola in Seattle, Handsome in LA (now taken over by Blue Bottle) and Scarletcity. This might need a thread of it's own !