View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Seems like a nice unit, but Campagnolo seems a bit late to the table with this. I don't mean just late to the table with a power meter crank, but actually late to the table with a Campagnolo OEM power meter crank. SRM and Power2Max have been building power spider based power meter cranks with original OEM Campagnolo arms for years. Campagnolo's SR WRL crank appears to be using the same Campagnolo arms that they've been supplying to SRM and Power2Max. The only thing new here is that this cranks uses the SW WRL sub-compact BCD.

Here's the SRM and Power2Max units (notice the Campagnolo logos on the arms, and Campagnolo serial number sticker on the back of the Power2Max NDS arm):

Further reason to think the SR WRL power meter cranks use the same arms as already used by SRM and Power2Max is that the SW WRL cranks have the same limited range of arm lengths as SRM and Power2Max - just 170mm, 172.5mm, and 175mm. This, despite the fact that the non-power meter SW WRL cranks are also available in 165mm. Although I use Campagnolo drivetrains, my preference for 165mm cranks has prevented me from using the SRM or Power2Max Campagnolo cranks, and it looks like I won't be using the SW WRL power meter cranks either.

I wonder though, if Campagnolo will stop supplying arms to other power meter makers, now that they have their own (more expensive) power meter cranks. But European trade laws may prevent that.
The new arms are shaped differently and the new PM appears to basically be an SRM PM-10 .. a more advanced version with more strain gauges .. necessary? Of course not .. cool tech? Yep. And maybe it trickles down over time - alongside more crank lengths for those that want such things.