View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Your rim cannot be saved. For a wheel to be true and have acceptable uniform tension, it has to be round and straight to start with. If you remove all of the spokes and place the rim on a flat surface, it would not lie flat. Get a new rim and rebuild. If it is not too old, you may be able to re-use the spokes.

Jeremy
Not necessarily. It depends on what the wheel will be used for. I don't believe the tension is so far off that catastrophic failure of the wheel is eminent. So, if the OP is using the wheel for commuting and doesn't mind having to retrue it occasionally, I say use it. On the other hand, if the OP is using it for racing or loaded touring, replacing it would be prudent.

When I used to work in a bike shop (LONG ago) we used to "straighten" these potato-chip rims by inflating the tire on the rim, detensioning the spokes in and adjecent to the damaged area, and then smacking the side of the tire in area of the bend it crisply on the concrete. We had much better luck fixing sideways bends in this manner than trying to pull rims that were bent in towards the hub.

Kevin