View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 AM

Stay safe!

I hate frickin' hurricanes. We only got the edges of Sandy, and lost a bunch of mature trees (house was spared, thank goodness)--but it was nerve-wracking, sitting in the house with the wind howling and trees snapping off that sounded like explosions. Irene was like a big storm so not so bad.

We went through a big one, Freda (typhoon) when I was kid in Vancouver--another one of those 'storm of the century' deals--being a kid, after getting over the initial excitement we just went to sleep down in the basement with the parents. Got up the next morning and could not believe the damage--all those shallow rooted west coast trees had come down like ninepins, shopping mall windows were all blown out, power was out for days. Of course, being kids we thought that was all pretty cool. Years later I worked for a construction materials company that manufactured roofing, and to make conversation one day I asked about Freda. They could not get the roofing out to dealers fast enough so they set up the back parking lot, and were selling roofing right out of the warehouse--and it went on for weeks...