View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
I once had a dremel cut-off wheel snag a strand of compressionless housing - caught that and just shredded the thing. Wadded about ten inches of it into an impossible snarl before I could get the thing stopped.
The Dremel is a tool that I mostly reserve as a last-ditch use, save for those few special applications like cutting bolts off from within a the door of my Lincoln Town Car, where no other tool could possibly work.
In this case, it saved me from having to remove three windows just to replace the window regulator cable/motor assemblies.

But Dremels used with the metal cutoff wheel are extremely dangerous in the hands of the less-seasoned mechanic or machinist. I've heard of digit loss and myself cut open the tip of a pinky while merely trying to modify a small piece of plastic that was used to hold a wiper blade to a wiper arm.
No, I didn't think that anyone would use the metal wheel to cut a cable housing, but I was wondering how else would the cable housing get wrapped up in the spindle?

Also, there are carbide cutters for Dremels which can emit a shower of tiny, razor-sharp needles which becomes a virtual haz-mat cleanup lest one leaves them to embed in fingers, clothing, eyes or feet.

A lot of possible applications for Dremel tools are more easily, safely, quickly and economically done with non-powered tools, which I usually reach for first.

Last edited by dddd; 05-15-2019 at 01:53 PM.