View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 08:21 AM

Til the day I die.....I hope!

Pretty much everything I ride fits this.

This was my ride yesterday. 1985 Belgium built racer made by Eddy Martens. DT shifters and 23mm tubulars. Only concession on this one right now are the modern wheels but I also use some old alloys on it. 40 miles of pure steel goodness, other than the smoke in the air, cough, cough....

Then over the past two weeks 3 more old steel bikes have made their way into the stable including one like what the OP mentioned.

Late 80's Nova Special.

The other two were a late 80's Colnago Super and a 1991 Miyata 914SE.

I do have some more modern style bikes like two of those funky C.F. Trek Y Foils but most of my wheels will be classic steel. Heck even my upright, 3 speed errand runner is 1972 steel. Looks like a piece of junk but if you look closer you'll notice a NOS crank, new chain, leather washers on all mount points, new saddle, new stem, new pedals, light converted to LED, new brake pads, etc, etc.

Funny story on this old bike is a year or two ago some punk youngster hollered some rude stuff to me on the bike path while I was on this. Insulted the old beast for no reason. So I dropped it into top gear, blew by his young spandex covered butt and proceeded to pull away for about another 1/2 mile before he turned off in shame. Lucky for me because I was about to have a heart attack, LOL! True story though!

And even my newly configured "gravel bike' is classic steel. A mid 80's Orbea Cabestany. The same model Pedro Delgado raced to victory in 1985. Earlier this week I took advantage of all the frame clearance and threw on some 700 x 32 knobby's and flat MB pedals.

And as to true classic, it doesn't get much more classic then my pretty much unmolested, Opus III. 6 speed of Superbe Pro goodness with this ol' beauty.

Or if you want "really steep" how about this classic racer?

Although.....to be honest. This one is listed for sale locally. Every since the dog wrecked me on my Jake to Snake I've been unable to ride this. Had a major grade three seperation of my AC joint and when I try to get into position to ride this things still pop in my shoulder. Stupid dog!

Anyway...enough rambling.... needless to say I love classic steel and hope it is always in my life.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.