View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
if you are comparing Riv's custom stuff, I'm sure I'd agree (I think Black Mtn is really close to the Waterford offerings if you ask me)... if you are talking about something like the Roadini, I just don't see it... I guess if you have to have lugs, but other than that... as I said above, I had a Bleriot and while it was a beautiful bike, the quality of the frame or ride wasn't any better than than either of my Black Mtn bikes... the lugs were pretty to look at, but that was about it IMHO. Especially when you compare it to something like the Hilson with a $1,500 price tag, I just don't see the almost 3x price increase...

BTW- to say Black Mtn has "Chinese steel" is a bit disingenuous... while Taiwan is certainly Chinese, Mike uses the leading steel tubing supplier there. What you imply above seems to compare Black Mtn bikes to something from WalMart... Where does Grant have his lower priced models like the Roadini built, I can't find it on the site...

If you can point me to where on the BMC site tubing quality and where the bikes are made are discussed? I thought mainland China. Taiwan is certainly better but no-name brand tubing doesn't inspire confidence. BMC, Surly, Soma, they're about the same. Decent but cheap frames. I don't know about the Roadini but have always thought that Rivendell is known for high quality steel framed bikes fabbed in the US, not really competing in the same segment of the market as BMC, etc.