View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 08:56 PM

I love Grant and the ethos he espouses. He has always brought well-made, versatile, very low-maintenance bikes to market, with a lot of creativity in his designs. He has been thoughtful and inventive in bringing a joyful, liberated, utilitarian product to the world. This message is what brought me to biking to begin with. I had just started my first office job and sitting in commuter traffic was rotting my body and soul (perhaps dramatic). I commuted to work every day, appreciate fenders and a rack, enjoyed never fussing with bar-end shifters, and love lazily venturing around on a comfortable leather saddle.

I think he has lost his way a bit, in that he should go back to leading the upscale commuting and touring market with simple, proven “technologies.” He has pivoted toward something like a Danish city-bike while omitting some lugs and design flourish. Grant’s flourish and style is what his customers buy. Even folks without jorts. Perhaps he will venture back that way. Either way, his customers will happily enjoy his creations for the next 100 years, as they were designed.