View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I was wrong to say donation, when he really just asked people to buy gift certificates. I also agree that Grant has come up with a ton of things, including many of the things you mentioned, but also things like raising the stem.

But I don't think custom steel is solely his idea. Remember, even if you buy a "custom" Rivendell, it still has to meet his requirements and he will not accept just any geometry, tubing or even paint job. Further, custom steel framesets have been around forever and builders like Richard Sachs, Sasha White/Vanilla and many others have been able to build up their following by offering true custom framesets.

Bottom line, if you like the direction Grant/Rivendell is going with their frame offerings, then that's the way to go. If not, there are tons of builders, including those who build with carbon, who can provide you with a ride that is amazing. It is a good time to be a rider with so many choices!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
I think Grant Petersen might be a bit more "liberal" as to what he will allow in a custom Rivendell than what our pal Richard Sachs would build. I think it's perfectly fine for a builder or designer of custom bikes to refuse to provide a bike that wouldn't represent their style and/or performance standards.