View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjaws
Ok, seriously..... Considering all the facts and listening to this potential customer, your recommendation for a 50+ rider, riding recreationally for fitness, is to go with Tubulars?

I think it's time to hand in your "decent wheelbuilder" ID badge.

If using carbon rims, the tubular is the way to go, when I suggested tubulars BUT-----

I ride tubulars everyday, I am 59 years old and the very definition of a 'recreational' cyclist. I ride Campagnolo Omega Stradas laced to C-Record freewheel hubs, 36 hole, laced 3 cross with DT comps and brass nipps, altho I have about 8 others.

Tubulars get such a bad rap. They are not a black art or smoke and mirrors. I can teach somebody how to glue tubies on w/o any mess in 10 minutes. They are FAR less messy than trying to make some wheel tubeless with the 'goop' involved with that. I do add goop to my tubulars, but even w/o it, I get very few flats..maybe 2 per year of 5000 or so miles of riding per year.

Don't want to speak for him but I think I am too conservative of a wheelbuilder for him to be my customer. I am concerned about reliability, design, fail in the 'make them blingy' arena.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.