View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAL
I have had my Ottrott for just over one year and have put about 3,000 miles on it. I love the bike and couldn't be happier with it. Wanting wheels that would have the bling factor for such a nice ride, I purchased Zipp 404's and have had no problems with the 404s. However, I see a lot of comments on the forums about the low spoke count on wheels like the 404's not being appropriate for my weight. Am I riding on borrowed time? Should I expect to experience spoke breakage soon as spokes are over stressed or the spokes fatigue given my weight? I do get some brake rub on occasion when I am pushing hard on the pedals uphill so I assume I am flexing the wheel a bit. Although most of my riding is non-hilly.

Do I need Zipp 404's? No, I don't. I am in my mid-50's and do almost all of my riding solo for fitness purposes averaging about 18 mph on typical 20 to 30 mile rides with occasional weekend or charity rides of 60+ miles.

I originally purchased the Zipp's for the bling factor with the Ottrott and I must admit I do like the look. I am ready to get another set of wheels to have a second set on hand or to be primary and I am assuming I should look into custom handbuilt wheels.

Any recommendations on wheel builders focused on riders of my weight and riding style? Any comments on wheel build configurations that might satisfy the bling factor on a set of wheels with a higher spoke count?
Any decent 'wheelbuilder', not just a guy that builds wheels, should be VERY concerned about the rider and their needs when designing a wheelset. Yes there are MO places that will build anything for anybody...I see those wrecks often, but a wheelbuilder worth his salt will 'design' the wheel to suit the needs of the rider and be reliable.

If ya gotta have bling..DT hubs, Reynolds rims, designed for you in terms of rim, tubie(I recommend that) or clincher, spoke count and type, etc. BUT remember wheels are mostly there to get you there.

OR DT rims, DT, shimano or Campagnolo hubs, built well.