View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM

I've worn out two sets of PR3s and have not experienced any of the cracking that others have mentioned. I have been averaging about 1500 to 2000 miles per set. I do not rotate tires. As was discussed across the hall, I wonder if the folks who are experiencing the cracking phenomenon live near the coast. Here in CO, we don't have the humidity that the coasts have and wonder if that may be a factor. On my most recent tire change, I opted to replace the PR3s with a pair of Conti GP4000S. My initial impression of the Contis is that they're rock hard compared to the PR3s at the same pressure, 100/95. I suspect the Contis will last longer, but at the expense of ride quality IMHO. I am going to ride a couple of long events this summer and plan to use a new pair of Vittoria EVO CXs that are waiting on the shelf. If I had to choose now, I prefer the ride of the PR3s over the Contis, even taking into consideration the decreased durability. I've heard great things about the EVO CXs, so I am axious to see if the hype is reality.