View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I have a cheap home computer that was bought for just a few hundred dollars in 2008, about the same time as Shimano Di2 was released. During the time I've owned it, its OS has been updated 3 times, from Windows Vista to Windows 7, then to Windows 8.1, and now Windows 10. It's processor and hard drive isn't as zippy as current computers, but it can still install and run the latest software.

Shimano Di2 components from the same time this computer was made are now no longer supported, and no compatible replacement components are being made. (And this is comparing a very low end computer even for its time, to the most high end components from Shimano.)
Would you want to ride around with the weight of your 2008 laptop strapped to your bike. Computers and small electronics are very different. I get the point about how SRAM could have chosen to design this group to build on what came before, but that might have been a barrier to them achieving their vision. I wouldn't be surprised if, in time, the product becomes more compatible across versions as it matures.