View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Winning with class used to be a thing, and maybe it still is. But on the other hand a win is a win. No quotes or asterisks. There can be any number of reasons why a rider would pull another to the finish, simple poor tactics among them.

Agree, there used to be a code among riders to win with class and good sportsmanship. This has changed over the past decade, IMO. I mean remember when that dick from Texas got taken down in the TdF by a fan? The group waited for him (likely out of fear of reprisal given his sociopathic personality)... but still.

Fast forward a decade and there's Steven Kruijswijk in Pink jersey at the Giro, miscalculates a bend, careens into a snowbank and somersaults to the tarmac. His break companion, Nibali, sees what happens and attacks.

Similarly, when Dumoulin had his issue at the Giro, in days past, the group would have waited or at least slowed until he got back on. But this time, again attacks from that group (and yes, Nibali attacked) but thankfully Tom crushed them.

My guess is money and pressure to get next year's contract means decorum and the unwritten rules of old, winning with class and good sportsmanship, have gone. I know I'm a dinosaur but I would rather not place than take a win knowing I wheelsucked my way to the top step. A win may be a win, but then you mark yourself in the peloton going forward.