View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot
The front plate was quite similar to the Nuovo Record with the model name the writing in 'haut relief'. .
This is the same thing I was referring to as "bas relief". The plate isn't precisely the same but so close that it isn't clear why they bothered. As Polyglot said, the only real difference was the addition of two titanium bolts.

[/QUOTE]In fact, the 1978 onward version shifts quite differently from the Nuovo and first generation super record derailleurs.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really seen a difference in shifting and I own all three versions (NR, 1st gen SR, 2nd gen SR). The spring tension seemed to decrease with the last version and didn't seem to tension the chain as well but it's very minor and possibly related to wear. Looking at them side by side, the cage angle is the same but the angle of approach for the cable housing is slightly different, necessitating a slightly longer housing, but with the longer housing the shifting is consistent with the prior version. There are some incredible Campy-philes out there. I just rode the stuff, but they can address the minutiae better than I. You sounded like you just wanted to be able to ride the rear derailleur and I can assure you that the Super Record rear derailleur continued the tradition of the Nuovo Record and worked very well.