View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Second on all counts. Bromptons are wicked-cool and NYC is becoming more and more bike friendly seemingly every time I'm there.

I personally don't like the Brompton for longer rides. It's fine descending at speed, but at the more typical city speeds you tend to ride on them, they're pretty squirmy. It's the last bike in the world I'd ever attempt to ride no-hands. And generally, I'm pretty well sick of riding one by about 15 miles or so. That said, I remember reading a tour report of an old Brit who rode his 3 speed on the famed Lands End to John O'Groats ride from the south end to the north end of Great Britain. With a touring load! Not me, though!

It's perfect for hopping on a train and then riding at either end of the rail trip. Or just for minimal storage as a city bike. I have a six-speed, a SA 3-speed hub and two cog arrangement with a little binary derailure in back. I don't have as many uses for it as I did when I bought it, so it's sort of neglected, but I use it pretty much anytime we take one of our cars in for service. Although now that both of our cars are Honda Fits, even that may not be necessary, since I can get any of my other bikes in the back of those cars...

I should probably sell it, but I don't think I can bring myself to...

-Ray