View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 PM

We're on our 4th VW, and had an interesting time of it - I've had 2 - '98 Jetta and a 2017 GTI - 0 problems with either. 165,000 miles on the Jetta with just tires, brakes, and front struts just before I sold it. GTI 27,000 miles and nothing (but it should be nothing).

My wife has had two VW's a 2000 Jetta wagon and a 2011 JSW TDI. The older Jetta tossed a timing belt - $5,000 repair (interference engine). But low and behold there was a class action law suit - fully reimbursed. Then that Jetta's windshield started leaking and messing up some electronics - $1500 repair. But then, low and behold a class action lawsuit - fully reimbursed. Finally dieselgate - we sold them back an 8 year old car with 90,000 miles on it, and they gave us about $8,000 for it. I think my wife has actually made money on the VW's she's owned.

Overall I think they are very well engineered cars (leaking sunroofs not included), fun to drive and a good value. Like any manufactured product there are bad ones - and people love to complain about how bad a product is.