View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the tips on dealing with Photobucket. I'll give them a try when I have enough time with nothing better to do and enough beer to make it through the frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
That’s a cool. classic bike and I’m glad you’re happy with it. I would have agonized over that trade! I luckily have both, an ‘86 De Rosa and an ‘89 Supercorsa. I’m still getting to know my Cinelli but I like the De Rosa a little better so far.

Post more pics!
More pics when I can. I wouldn't say I agonized over the decision to trade the De Rosa, but I certainly do not rush into anything; I first saw the Cinelli frame in one of the vendor's booths at Erocia California in April 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Very nice. I wouldn't imagine that Cinelli would ride anything like your De Rosa. You should have kept both, though.

I've sold everything but my De Rosa's and Cinelli's.
You're absolutely correct; the Cinelli's ride is noticeably different from the De Rosa's. (I expect that it is also different from Spaghetti Legs' '89 SC, but I can only speculate about that.) The short version is that the De Rosa is quicker handling (but not twitchy) and stiffer (but not at all harsh) while the Cinelli's is more neutral (but not sluggish or hard to maneuver) and more laid back (but not at all noodley). The De Rosa is like a race car; there is no question that it wants to go fast and it is always urging you to go little faster. The Cinelli is more like a luxury high-performance car; it is so comfortable and so competent and so well-mannered that it's high-performance attributes kind of sneak up on you.

Incidentally, both bikes were/are set up the same way; in fact, everything that is on the Cinelli now was on the De Rosa, including drivetrain, wheels, tires, bottom bracket and headset but excluding the brakes (the Cinelli needs longer reach brakes), so it is about as close to eliminating other variables in the comparison as possible. Hey, we have to be scientific about these things.

As for keeping both, I couldn't really justify it, either to me or to my wife (she might have rolled her eyes, but that's about it; she is very tolerant of my vice). I did keep the Eisentraut and the Ron Cooper, so I'm not exactly hurting for top-shelf rides. And I like that I had and still have top-of-the-heap examples from Italy, the UK and the US. But the reality is that I don't get out enough to keep a three-bike rotation properly busy; a four-bike rotation would just be silly.