View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 07:08 AM

Confessions of a Wax Chain Convert

In the past, I always used an oil based lubricant on my chain and thought that was good enough. A few drips once and awhile and call it a day. When my chain got a little noisy, add some lube. I thought those that purchased a crockpot to wax chains were a little overboard with their bike hobby.

A few months ago, I was saw a Silca video on YouTube that showed the process to wax a chain. I thought to myself, alright I will give it a try. I got some acetone, mineral spirits, wax, and made the pilgrimage to Walmart to buy the $10 crockpot. My wife is like what are you doing buying a crockpot for your bike stuff.

After throwing the waxed chain on my new build, I hereby apologize to all those I scoffed at in the past with their waxed chains as I have now joined you in the wax chain ridership.

My chain was silent as I ride along the local bike path. I thought this was impossible even when I used to try to perfect the chainline on an oil lube chain.

To all those out there thinking about going to a wax chain or scoffing at the wax chain, you will not regret the conversation.