View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Film has indeed made a big comeback. The price and availability of film during covid was really bad - fortunately things have settled down a bit.

I've been dabbling in photography for a long time and picked back up with film a few years ago. It all started with buying older film (Konica) lenses to adapt to my Fuji mirrorless camera, and I figured I'd get a 35mm SLR to use them too.

Why? Because the used 35mm 'point and shoot' style options are all old and getting fragile, prices have gone through the roof, and a lot of them are generally not repairable - or if they are its not cost effective. Or they have a Leica badge on them.

I would really like to see autofocus on this camera, that one really misses the mark for me. I really really want a nice 35mm 'point and shoot' AF camera but the nice ones are coming up on $1000 and the cheaper ones are a roll of the dice and some of the lenses on them are just atrocious. At $20-30 per roll by the time its done I'm not wasting time with ****ty plastic lenses.
Yeah, I guess we just see things totally different. Any of my old camera's from as far back as the 60's are still functioning so I wouldn't view used camera's on the market as fragile myself. There's 43,000+ film P&S on Ebay right now.

How are those adapting lenses working for you? I went the same route primarily when I converted to digital. Running around 30 old manual focus Leica R, Contax Zeiss, Pentax, Olympus and even Mamiya 645 lenses adapted to my EOS mounts. They are all top-notch performers.

This was shot with a Pentax SMC 50 1.4 on my 5D and when printed the microcontrast from that lens has the white aspen trunks giving a 3D appearance that makes it look like they are sticking out of the paper.