View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
There's a simple solution that I've suggested to the ride director in the past, and will do so again this year - make sure the number takers are at the entry of rest stops so riders skipping those stops can just yell out their number as they roll by. Then put the double century table (with the hammer stuff) right at the entrance with water so those racing that do stop can get in and out quick. In prior years (even stage race years), the number taker has been sitting at the double table which was set up at the very back of the rest stop.., then there's a line 10 deep to get water. Those kind of stops can mean the difference between a 1 min stop vs. a 10 min headache.

Other than that, I love this ride
Just a few years ago the ride a record number of riders with nearly 3000 riders total , that included 300 double century riders. With up to 9 rest stops on the course it was a monumental effort on all the volunteers that year.. This year's ridership will be lower with a 200 rider limit on the double century and estimated total of 2000 to 2400 riders for the 6 different routes. New this year on the century are RFID tags on the helmets to read the riders times and ID their photos on the ride taken by PhotoCrazy.

All centuries that I did this year had lower turnout of riders than previous years.... guess cycling is trending down...