Thread: Building Wheels
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I have been building my own wheels for decades and love doing it.
The Jobst book is a good start.
The most critical thing is getting the right spoke lengths, tensioning and stress relieving.
Also making sure that spokes are not winding up during tensioning as they will unwind later. I use Teg-Gel on the spoke threads, it prevents corrosion over the long term. I have a Park TM-1 tensiometer. It has limited accuracy but I used it for years with no problems. Not long ago I was building my first set of carbon wheels and wanted more accuracy so I built a tension calibration jig for about $100 which was well worth it. You can get a more accurate tensiometer like the Wheel Fanatyk but it costs $285. You are not going to do a perfect wheel build on your first try, it takes time and experience but can be very rewarding.
Good luck
Very true statement here. But strange reasons sometimes....

I broke the first wheels I built! Name brand expensive carbon rims, laced and true, was finishing tensioning with a Park tension meter and <pop> the sidewall cracked. What the hell did I do? 1 for 1 with rim build failures!?!

Contacted the manufacturer, sent some pics, they decided it was a manufacturing error and they replaced that rim for free.

I'm a curious engineer so I cut the broken rim apart and found that the layup was wrong: someone had missed a layer of carbon off the left side and put an extra on the right.

I was glad to find it was not my fault.

Regardless, I have 6000 rewarding miles on those wheels and I haven't even had to true them.