View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Thanks. I plan to use it for most things just as I would a western chef's knife. It would certainly seem to be a veg killer, yeah. I only started using non-Western knives about a year ago. I've been using German stainless for 20 years. Over this past year I've been sort of designing a knife in my mind for the ways I mostly use a knife and I'd never seen just what I was picturing (>200mm length, >60mm height, 50/50 grind, relatively flat profile, kiritsuke-ish tip, carbon blade). But, I found this Takeda and it was really, really close.

It's certainly not required, but it's like anything else that you spend considerable time doing, if it improves your experience in a meaningful way it has value. A friend and riding buddy who has more experience with Japanese knives told me this knife would hold or appreciate in value over time. This wasn't a consideration of mine, but there you have it. Also, it's a pretty low entry fee to get your feet with with decent non-Western carbon or even stainless knives to see how you feel about them.

The blacksmith is highly regarded. This knife, for me, is sort of like if Bishop, Kirk, Sadoff, or Sachs had an off-the-shelf model.
Any recommendations on where to purchase or shop for such?