View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Do yourself a favor and toss that Vittoria Pit stop. It doesn't do a damn thing when you puncture. Stans or Orange Seal are waaaaaaay better sealants and actually work instantly. I got a puncture once years ago, and added Stans on the road. That tire still held air until I finally wore it down.

The only downsides to riding tubulars are the costs of tires and the downtime if you puncture and need to glue at night, which is minimal. I can't see myself going back to Clinchers anytime soon. I also like that if I puncture at high speeds, my tire stays on the rim and I can roll myself to a slow stop.

I carry a tiny bottle of stans, valve core remover, Co2 and a mini hand pump. I've noticed that Tubular tires don't like Co2 air and it leaks through the latex inner tube (Happened twice on Vittoria Tires). I carry a spare tire on rides when I'm just out there in the middle of the mountains alone. Sealant is so good that it will fix most tiny punctures, and you'd have to ride through a bunch of glass to cut a tire big enough to render sealant useless.

I've been running the same set of Vlaanderen tires for over a year now. Not a flat in sight and I ride dirt/gravel/road on these tires. I want to go back to Roubaix tires, but the puncture protection of the Vlaanderen is the BEST!

I'm looking for a set of deep (45-50mm) carbon tubulars and want to try those new Veloflex Servizio Corsa tires.