View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM

Is real world data possible in bike testing?

We have a LOT of entertaining discussion here about the wonders of titanium as a material for bicycle frames with virtually everyone touting its abilities to be all things to all people (tongue in cheek just a little bit)

And I freely admit I’m riding right along on that bandwagon. I currently own 3 Ti bikes and, for me, cannot imagine my main bike not being made out of titanium.

What I don’t see though is data as in a Consumer Reports style article. While there is data found in many publications regarding certain aspects of a frames qualities, flex, compliance, stiffness, etc., I’ve only see such in regards to carbon frames or when comparing carbon frames. The ones I’ve seen (read) always involve mounting a semi-stripped frame to a fixture and applying mechanical forces.

I’ve never seen such tests comparing different frame materials. May be out there but I’ve never seem them.

Additionally, I’ve never seen any data with regards to a bicycle’s riding qualities taken as a whole. Lots of subjective comments but no data as such.

All of this brings me to wonder if such tests are even possible. Is it possible to get hard, repeatable data on a frame qualities when tested as a complete bicycle in real world conditions? Is it possible to take a carbon frame from say Parlee, a steel frame from Ritte and a titanium frame from Moots, all with same group, wheels, tires and do a direct objective comparison using measurable, repeatable data?

And if this was at all possible, would it actually isolate the frame from all the other factors involved? Tire construction, psi, wheels, saddle rails, even handlebar tape.

When I read a company’s or frame makers description of a bespoke frame I often see such phrases as custom drawn tubing selected for riders weight, etc, etc, etc, etc. What I never see is any data attributed to different tubing when taken as a whole.

I’m not sure if my point is coming across but basically where’s the data and is comparative data even possible?

Or does the King really not have any clothes on and we are all just caught up in the hype?