View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 10:36 AM

Yah you have to be a New Yorker living without a car I'd guess to have not noticed what's happened to automobiles?

Ford doesn't even sell any cars in the US anymore except for Mustangs!

SUVs have crap visibility compared to sedans. Buyers seem to think sitting up high makes them safe but it's a hell of a lot harder to see a short pedestrian or cyclist from that high viewpoint. I'd feel super unsafe on a recumbent bike compared to being up high on an upright bike. Surely why recumbents use flags so often, without them SUV drivers wouldn't have a chance at seeing them up close in traffic. Modern SUVs have super high door sills which block even more of the viewing angles.

I have an Outback when I get in my wife's sedan it's crazy how much better I can see stuff lower to the ground. There's no way in the world I'd have bought the Outback if Subaru hadn't stopped selling the Legacy wagon.

All these bigger/heavier/taller vehicles take longer to stop too so more chance of hitting a pedestrian/cyclist there too. I think people are more afraid to stand on the brakes in tall softly sprung vehicles too cause the nose dives so dramatically.